Saturday, June 12, 2010

Shrek: The Final Chapter


So when I went to go see this, I was a little skeptical. This movie has been getting terrible reviews, and it was a fourth. Sequels alone are pretty bad, but four?! I was concerned to say the least.

Luckily however, I was pleasantly surprised. This is not to say however, that all aspects of the movie were good, because some were terrible. Let me catch you up on the storyline:

Shrek basically has a mid-life crisis and decides that he hates being a married Ogre who does the same thing every day. He goes to Rumpelstilkson (how the heck do you spell that?) -whom I will call Rumpy from now on-and asks for a deal. He agrees to give one day from his past in order to have one day in his old life again. Well...as is terribly predictable, Rumpy is the bad guy, and chooses the day Shrek was born as the trade-in-day. Shrek soon finds himself in a world where Ogres are hunted and Fiona is the leader of the Ogre rebellion. And once again, he must have true love's kiss in order to break out of the deal-shocker. As you can guess...he must win over the heart of Fiona again (she doesn't remember him of course) and everyone ends up happy in the end. Don't you dare tell me that I ruined it for you, it is WAY too predictable-which is my first chief complaint-predictable.

Now let me break it down for you...the characters are all the same, with a twist. Since Shrek is in the warped time thing, nobody remembers him (because he was never born, remember?) which makes Fiona a butt-kicking warrior, Puss a very,very fat house-kitty, and....welll, nevermind. After that, everyone else is basically the same. And even though nobody remembers Shrek, the jokes still seem to be the same throughout the show...but it still works which is amazing. However, the fat cat gives us some great laughs and there is a new villain who brings in new material.


Which brings me to my next point: even though Rumpy brings in new material, he is not the greatest bad guy. He is more...just there than anything else. The jokes they try to work with him are an assortment of wigs that he wears and a giant goose-pet. Not funny, nor taken far enough.

But if you want something that is like unto...Madagascar, this movie is for you. Funny, but not fresh. Enjoyable, but not amazing.

I'd wait for the dollar theaters or Red Box for this one, and for the love, don't waste your money on the 3-D experience. (Good gracious, I am SO sick of 3-D movies)

No comments:

Post a Comment