Thursday, July 15, 2010

The DaVinci Code

I lied. I told you I was gonig to review Jane Eyre...but then I had a debate inside my head:

Good Briana: You really shouldn't do that. You know a couple of peole involved in that production...probably not a good idea to unleash your critical self upon their show.

Bad Briana: What?! It's just a little review! Most people don't even read this blog anyway!

GB: Briana...I'm warning you

BB: What? You can't hurt me, I'm YOU.

And it went on and on...yes, I have multiple personalities, don't be alarmed. In the end, I decided that I won't be reviewing any shows, art, projects, etc. that any of my close friends are in. If it is someone I had a class with in school...whatever. But I don't want my good friends to start hating me for my opinions-be they positive or negative.

Which brings me to my next topic: The DaVinci Code.

I found the book for FOUR FREAKING DOLLARS in the DI, so I bought it. It took me a long time to get through it beacuse I have been so busy lately, but I finally finished it. I then went and watched the movie-which was MUCH worse than the book by the way-shocker. And I KNOW this was SO five years ago, but I liked it, so I'm reviewing it. So there. So here are my thoughts on the book and movie:

The storyline is really good, one can't argue with that. There is deciet, a HUGE twist at the end that I SO did not see coming (you can in the movie, but not in the book), a twinge of romance, car chases, guns, rich people, art, history...everything you could want in a book.

What intrigued me most was the main idea that the story centered around; Mary Magdelene and Christ were married, Mary gave birth to Christ's son, and there is a living descendant of Christ today. An interesting thought if you really think about it. The book goes on to blame the Catholic Church for the "corrupted" scriptural records we now have on hand today, and for the covering up of this important piece of information. If Christ had a child, he was mortal, if he was mortal, he wasn't a God, if he wasn't a God, then the very foundatoins of the Catholic Church (and all of Christianity for that matter) would be torn asunder and the Church would lose all of it's power and influence.

There are then historical ties and information that is brought in to support this theory, and the information is overwhelming. I am still trying to digest the book...the movie is much simpler (made for those who don't use their minds and read). There are, I must admit, a few points made in the book that made me stop and go, "hold on a second". It really made me begin to think and delve a little deeper into my own religion.

The other thing about this book/movie that really cracked me up was that the Catholic Church and other Christian organizations started making documentaries and official statements on "Why The DaVinci Code is False" or whatever. Look, Imust admit, it did make me think, but I realize it's just a story. Perhaps it got so much attention because it uses real moments in history, modern technology, real art, and winds them all together to support this theory. Let's be honest here, Dan Brown is a freaking genious.

I would certainly reccommend this book to anyone..oh...over the age of 18. Perhaps mature 15-17 year olds...but it is definitely a page-turner, and one that will get you thinking.

As for the movie...eh. It was okay. I pictured Langdon much younger, with shorter hair (although, I DO think Tom Hanks is brilliant) and I pictured Sophie more of a hard shell...shelooks like a scared 12-year old throughout the entire thing. She is supposed to be a hardened French cryptographer, and I just wasn't getting that from this actress (Audrey Tautou).

The movie also leaves out and/or switched a lot in the plot line. Granted, if they were to keep everything in, the movie would be over three hours long, but it was sad to see all of the juicy details lift by the wayside. Overall though, it's pretty good. If you love the book, it isn't that great, but if you just saw the movie by itself, I'm sure you would love it.

I think I need to go read this again...I'm still struggling in the comprehension department...

2 comments:

  1. Mackenzi: To hell with people's feelings. Review Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! I just wanna say that this is a cool blog.

    And I agree with your review of The DaVinci Code book and movie. What I didn't get was why all the critics are fighting over whether or not it could be true. Why must the conclusion be that if Christ was married he wasn't a God? I think a lot of what Brown was saying could be close to truth without destroying the basis of Christianity. We just don't know everything. Although I'm pretty sure I know MOST everything about...ummm...everything. :)

    ReplyDelete